Monday, January 5, 2009

christmas in nepal...











some photos of the christmas program which ran for 4 hours!!!!! then had a nepali feast for 400 people. many people came from mountain villages to be a part of the festivities.




i was standing in line for food when i was embraced by a woman from behind...and i mean embraced!!! she held me uncomfortably close. i thought at first...how nice...but then that quickly turned to what the...??? then i discovered that as soon as you left room - and i mean i had given only 2 inches since emielia's head was level with the man's butt just in front of us - you would lose your place in the line. i watched in irration as 4 people butted in front of emielia and she ended up crying because her feet got squashed. is it good to get angry at poor starving people? not sure but i was. i was surprised by the level of heated frenzy that happened when food was introduced. people pushing...people yelling...starving people needing nourishment. my angry quickly subsided when i realized this might be the first meal they have had in days. desperation runs rampant here...not sure i want to get in the way...not sure what i can do.

2 comments:

Michelle Santschi said...

I was wondering what you did for Christmas. Love your little Christmas tree! Charlie Brown would be impressed :) I bought some fairly traded earrings from my work (TTV) last week, with my Christmas money. They're made in Nepal and I think about you when I wear them.

Unknown said...

Nice to hear you guys have a reprieve from the church compound. (It's good to breath sometime.) It's always sad to hear of people's greed (the food frenzy in the Christmas feast line). What's sadder still is when you see well dressed people in the bread line over at the bread bakery sell off store. That's not the sad part. It's sad when they push you aside and grab as though they hadn't eaten in days. I was stunned.It was unbelievealbe. At that point I was past angry. I was ashamed to live in the West where we have it all and yet the depth of greed is so great. We will pray that you guys will do what you can to have an impact.