Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gatlang....a village near the Tibetan border.

As I took this first journey into the mountains I grimaced with abdominal discomfort with every bump of this nasty road(worse than any logging trail I've been on in B.C.) wondering if I should have just stayed home. Earlier that morning I asked Jesus whether I should go and he reminded Elisa and I... "I can do all thing through Christ that strengthens me!" I than focused my attention to Shem Dai and thought to myself that this man (approaching 60 yrs old) makes this journey over and over again with a smile on his face often having to go on a terrible bus ride with people vomiting (travel sickness) and than having to hike for a day to this village while carrying a heavy backpack. I asked him what first brought him to these villages and he stated "when I was a guide I would see the people dying of sickness without Jesus.. it made me very sad so I decided I would go and help these people I love." The feelings of "poor me" quickly faded and my admiration for Shem and his heart increased. The morning prior to our last ascent into Gatlang was hard for me to get moving, but Raju and Shem prayed for my tummy. I felt a last nudge from Jesus and a shot of energy just like he promised earlier.
When we were entering the village of Gatlang there soon became a parade of little children chasing the vehicle with smiles and laughter. The rest of the day was so joyous for me despite my abdominal discomfort. God's love for these people filled my heart. There are so many sick people here in Gatlang who have no one to give them simple medicines like tylenol for fever or electrolyte powder for dehydration which many children die from. A young man from the village came to my side to pray for my stomach as I layed on the floor in a tiny Tamarang house and I became overwhelmed.
We are so blessed! I cannot forget these people!.... I cannnot foget their faces!...I cannot forget their stuggle!
please read caption on last Gatlang picture

Children of Gatlang


Beautiful Tamarang Woman


Newly Weds



Mountain Children




Shem and I with friends from Gatlang
p.s. the man on the right has been suffering with terrble pain and diarhea for a long time.I didn't know what what causing it(pin worms, bacteria, amebic, protozoa or viral) or what to give him which broke my heart so I ended up giving him Tylenol, and electrolyte powder. Please pray for him.



4 comments:

Debra said...

that newly wed woman.
isn't she the one that was at the Kathmandu vineyard when we were there? i think it is. She came to the zoo with us, she had her first coke and mo mos and she went on that boat for the first time at the zoo. i'm sure that is her.

Marlese Hazeu said...

I regognized her too. it's totally her! It's so neat to see her now married! Rod, may God continue the work he has begun in you. Bring healing to your body. Bless you!

Marlese Hazeu said...

and those faces... what an image to treasure!

Unknown said...

I pray that you'll never forget the struggle. It will keep you praying for them long after you return. And it may, like it did for us, cause you to ponder a return. Don't stop sending pictures. I know all these faces. In fact please tell Robin that Alana and I had dreams about him on the same night. I drempt that he came up behind me and gave me a big hug. So hug him from me and tell him 'dad' loves him. I miss him!