Wednesday, December 24, 2008

it's christmas time in the city...

hard to believe but it is christmas eve here...like at home i am not quite done my shopping but for other reasons - it just doesn't feel like christmas here.
we have moved to a flat for 6 weeks - housesitting...feels like a palace because it has hot water and heaters. sucks because we have no internet access but i will not complain!!!!!
the power is going off more frequently here - it is now up to 10 hours a day and they are threatening up to 18 hours. the paper says if that happens then there will be a revolt and it could be dangerous here.
the church is a flurry of activity as they are getting ready for the big christmas feed tomorrow and program. emielia is practicing her dance, ava is counting ribbons and anya is running around with the boys.
rod and i are taking language lessons. you should see the people's faces when we ask them questions in nepali - it is a mixture of admiration and amusement. it draws laughter but they keep encouraging us.
i went to a small village on monday - on a mountain!!!! we sat on a rooftop and sang christmas songs and then they treated us to an amazing feast. on the way home urmilla told me there is a tiger that lives in the forest. i said oh great. she cut thru the forest and started to whistle really loud - she stopped and turned to me and smiled...it's for the tiger she said. needless to say i joined in the song. i was relieved to be on the bus back home.
well, i must go and shop.
merry christmas to all
and to all a goodnight.

15 comments:

Marlese Hazeu said...

Elisa, I could only image you walking, knowing there's a tiger, out there somewhere, whistling loudly, praying and inwardly freaking out! I'm glad you're safe, we're praying for continued safety during unknown times. There's a book I read to Ben about Noah and the promise God gave him. "But God remembered Noah, who he gave this special promise to: A storm is coming, but I’ll be with you. I'll keep you safe, my promise is true."
In all of life’s uncertainties God is faithful.
May this Christmas be a feast and celebration to behold.
Love you. Hugs to everyone for us.

Dixie Vandersluys said...

Merry Christmas, Elisa, and to your whole family over there. What a Christmas to remember this will be. Enjoy it all.

Me, I have to speak at the Christmas Eve service tonight. Yikes! But it will be okay, once it's over.

Take care. And much love!

Colleen said...

Merry Christmas all!

Susan Klassen said...

Hope you have a special Christmas!

Sherry said...

Sing to the tiger really loud, kay!? I think I heard you singing those carols from that mountain! What a thrill!! Thinking of you all and wish you the awesomist of Christmas experience. As we all celebrate faith, love, family, health, safety, and peace.

flimmity flam said...

Missing you. Jai was dropped off to me in the middle of the night. BJ is in the hospital, as he seems to be most years at Christmas. By now Christmas must be over where you are, but I'm thinking of the past few that we spent together & missing you all. I hope you're well.

Francine

Trish Franklin said...

Merry Christmas Jersak family!!

Hope your day has been fabulous/different/amazing and loving! So glad that you can still sing carols there....on a mountain top to boot!!! Glad the tiger didn't get ya!! :)

Enjoy the heat there....yah....enjoy it!! :0

Love to you all,
The Franklin 5

Michelle Santschi said...

Merry Christmas, Jersaks!

Deanna Momtchilov said...

Happy New Year to all of you! We think of you often and bless you in everything you are and all you are doing! Love! :)

Jason said...

Wow,... I am actually speechless after reading your last few posts... they leave alot of thoughts about have and have not in your head. I need time to digest that.

Some of your photos are truly National Geographic.

If you get a moment to reply - can we send anything? Toys, Clothes, etc.

Rod, Elisa, Emielia, Ava, Anya - HAPPY NEW YEAR from Jason, Michelle, Scott and Brooke.

Colleen said...

Happy New year to you!!!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Jersak's! We Lewis' are praying for you and are there with you! I felt the Lord speak to me regarding the coming year and the church, and that was, "I am going to bare my arm!" Amen Lord!

Toady said...

Hi!
Your tiger-whistling reminds me of how my Mom would always have us sing and clap our hands when walking around the farm up north for fear of bears...and how my Mom was willing to get in between a bear and myself to protect me which I never really knew until my Dad told me years later.
It feels like 30-minutes-could-kill-you-outside Winter/Christmas in the Peg these days. I don't remember having a green or even a brown Christmas ever, hope you guys are weathering it well...pun intended.
Love you both and your girls too, praying for you tonite. Looking forward to your next update.
Love,
Todd

karina said...

We are praying for the church constantly here...I asked God to give you guys a well so you wouldn't have to wait for the rain all the time* I heard that the electricity hasn't been doing too well either, I'll pray for that too* The Vineyard here has been getting some prophetic words about this year being the year of the Lord's provision...start expecting it!
And please give my warmest New Year wishes to the Riverbed family*I miss them much!

jersaksinnepal said...

sherry....could you email us?? emielia wants to correspond with brianna
rejersak@gmail.com

and jason - thanks for wanting to send something...packages take about 2 months to get here and by then we will be packing up to go home. hard to believe!!!!